We are highly experienced in the specialist area of Women’s and Men’s Pelvic health. Pelvic floor problems are no longer a taboo subject. Talk to us, we can help!
The Pelvic Floor?
We often don’t know anything about our pelvic floor until it is put under stress and perhaps causes urinary incontinence or prolapse symptoms, or for the blokes when the prostate causes problems with doing a wee.
So if this has been you, don’t be embarrassed, you’re not alone. So lets start learning.
The roles of the Pelvic floor muscles include:
- Supporting the Pelvic organs (Bladder, Rectum and Uterus in women).
- Maintaining urinary, feacal and flatus continence.
- Allowing effective urination and defecation.
- Aiding in sexual arousal
- Assisting in core control (working with you abdominals, back muscles and breathing)
When there’s a problem with the pelvic floor…
There are a number of reasons that problems can develop in the pelvic floor. These may include (but not limited to):
- Child birth
- Repetitive heavy lifting
- Incorrect exercising (unfortunately!)
- Enlarged prostate (men only)
- Chronic respiratory issues and coughing
- Surgery, especially prostate surgery, urogynaecological surgery, gynaecological surgery and bowel surgery.
- Weight gain through the tummy
- Change in hormone levels
- Bowel issues (e.g constipation, IBS, Crohns)
How Vital Core can help with Pelvic floor problems?
- Find out exactly what is worrying you. What your goals are. What you need or want to be able to do.
- Ask you lots of questions to understand all the signs and symptoms that will help determine the possible cause(s) of your problem.
- Examine the Pelvic Floor and the surrounding muscles for correct alignment, tone, and activation, as well as control, strength and endurance. This may include an internal examination.
- Educate you on what is happening and why.
- Together we will structure a treatment plan to get you back on track and achieving your goals
- Treatment techniques may include;
- Pelvic Floor muscles training to improve coordination, strength, or endurance.
- Functional training to learn to use your muscles in the real world.
- Relaxation or ‘down training’ for muscles that are working too hard.
- Lifestyle education to help use and protect your pelvic floor through out the day.
- Exercise advice to get fit and strong without compromising your pelvic floor.
Other common pelvic floor problems we see at Vital Core:
Childhood bedwetting – from the age of 7, most children should be dry at night. With thorough questioning we can determine just what is the best line of action to take for your child. Treatment options include;
- Day time fluid management
- Day time bladder and bowel habit training.
- Bladder awareness training
- Night time drones training program.
- Referral to a GP for further medical advice.
Prolapse is a condition where an internal organ (usually bladder, uterus or bowel) are dropping down into the vagina. It is a common condition in women particularly after having children or after menopause. We can help to reduce symptoms, prevent progression and prevent or delay surgery. Common ways we do this are;
- Pelvic Floor Muscle training
- Pessary supply, fitting and management. Pessaries are flexible silicon devices inserted into the vagina to support a prolapse. Pessaries were once reserved for the very old and frail or those who had not yet completed their child bearing. Today we can use them as an alternative to surgery. They are simple to self manage and with the right education and management are extremely safe for most women.
- Lifestyle advice. Certain activities will put more pressure down on a prolapse. Once you understand this you can decrease symptoms.
- General exercise advice. Making other muscles stronger can take strain away from a prolapse.
If you have a problem with Please come and see the team here at Vital Core and we can help get you back into the life you want to lead.